Sunday, February 14, 2010

Book Review: Picking Dandelions



The completion of a book is a rare occurrence for me these days. For whatever reason I've fallen out of the habit. Blogs are so much more tempting reading material, with their unthreatening length and colorful pictures. Perhaps that's why Sarah's new book, "Picking Dandelions" is just what I needed to rekindle a good habit.

"Write what you know. That should leave you with a lot of free time."

- Howard Nemerov

Mr.Nemerov is parroting(with sarcastic hilarity) a gem of writing wisdom so ancient and universal it cannot be convincingly attributed to a single person: Write what you know.

Sarah has followed this advice quite well. As the book opens, through humor and honest humility, she explains her journey through midwestern-christian-childhood. There is much said in this section about faith, legacy, and innocence. Refreshingly, it is there to be found, not on display with a blinking power-point presentation of transformational truths. The chapters are conversational and personal without falling victim to navel-gazing.

In the second half of the book we follow Sarah into adulthood, or something resembling it(see Kiddults page 105). With a complete lack of seriousness but no shortage of reverence, she reflects on her growth and seemingly paradoxical, lack of growth. I could easily relate, and enjoyed doing so. I laughed out loud in several sections.

The chapters regarding her grandmother are especially sweet and rich with emotion and meaning, just beneath the sarcastic humor.

Bottom line: This book got me thinking about what I can do today and tomorrow to change. To pick some weeds. Not because I feel guilty they are there in the first place, or because others will disapprove of the overgrowth, but because I am excited about the possibilities of what will grow in their place. That kind of gentle, convicting encouragement is more than welcome, and leaves a smile on my face as I finish the book and wake up my 3yr old daughter, who slept on my lap for the last 100 pages.

1 comment:

Leave a comment please